Sunday, June 1, 2008

Thoughts on Fuchsia -or- Is it a ouah or a nah?

Every so often I see designers taking the risk and trying to do a fuchsia shoe. I say this is a risk because it is a rare occasion that I see one I really love, and often times it's so bright and pinkish that it makes my eyes gag. Yes, apparently eyes can gag. Let's get down to the ouahs (pronounced 'wah', meaning yes! in French) and nahs (no in lazy person).

Ouah





















This Stuart Weitzman shoe ('Woodbow' Pump) has a muted tone to it's color, but the patent leather and bow makes sure it isn't quiet. The peep-toe adds a nice touch and helps the bow. It would be nice in a mid to low height heel so it would be a bit more wearable, but nothing says "Mmmmmmhmmmmm *snap-snap-snap*" like a high stiletto. Personally I like the wood heel; I know a lot of people don't like the wood trend that seems to be going on. Since it's not clunky and has a cool brown color, it makes the shoe a bit more muted and workable with different outfits. $299 at Nordstrom.


Nah




















Cork + Fuchsia + Iridescent = My eyes burning
There isn't that much I have to say on this one since it shows perfectly well a bad use of color. The huge amount of saturation and the added exaggerated iridescent snake skin makes this look like a costume piece.
I
f you want these (I should probably not tell you this as a public service so you don't buy them) you can get the Jessica Simpson (one of the last people I want in the field of design) Josette pump for $88.95 at Nordstrom.

Ouah



















I must say this isn't my taste, but if you want to get Barbi on everyone, these sequin pumps from Manolo Blahnik have great lines to them. Then again, Manolo shoes always have beautiful lines, especially with his heels; I tend to gush over him since he is one of my design idols. Since these shoes have a great silhouette, a classic pump design and the sequins add some nice variations in tone making it not glow so much, the fuchsia ends up working. If you want them (like one of my friends, or rather, she REALLY REALLY wants them) they are $585.

Nah



















Hooker platform shoe, Jimmy Choo.
... Yup, that about sums it up.


Ouah






















Here Jimmy Choo gets it right. Sure the fuchsia is so loud people would be able to see your shoes from 5 miles away... through fog... with a blind fold on, but the Lumiere Patent d'Orsay shoe has a beautiful look and the buckled strap almost adds a slight edge to it (classic Choo). That tones down the "pretty pixies prancing in a field of wildflowers" feel that the color gives. It's almost sculptural, which in my opinion makes a really good shoe. If you can hang it on a wall and call it art, you've got a nice shoe (though the same thing doesn't work in reverse, but that's for another post). The Lumiere Patent d'Orsay are available at Bergdorf Goodman for $585


I don't know...




















Personally I'm split on these Kate Spade pumps. The red - fuchsia mix is pretty darn funky. I normally tend to not like her stuff since the color choices lately... well it kind of feels like she put on a blindfold and pulled out a bunch or random bright color swatches. My first reaction was not liking these, but with the right outfit they might just work out well, and they would be a conversation piece. Obviously these aren't shoes you can wear all the time, but what do you think? Leave a comment. Kate Spade "Hera" pump, $318 at Nordstrom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I *just* saw those Stuart Weitzmans, or something very similar - though they were a bit brighter than that picture. Yes, very nice. And I agree, I'd rather a slightly lower heel, but admittedly the shape of the shoe (unlike the hooker heels) supports the skinny, higher heel.

I also love that your first post is on fushia heels :D

Kori said...

The Kate Spade one is a bit girly for me, but the color combo makes me smile. It's my favorite shoe in this post! I like that it doesn't take itself seriously, ya know?

Oh, and by the way, if you need some how-to-get-readers-&-etc advice, let me know. Yes, I'm just that good.

Susan said...

I just found the fuscia sequin Manolo stilettos at the Neimann Marcus Outlet in Orlando for $175!!!