Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Designer, The Substitute, and The Affordable -or- Half an hours effort shopping around to find the same shoe over and over and over...

The Designer-
So no designer is infallible, but Christian Louboutin is close. Sure his canvas orthopedic espadrilles are pretty bad (or to be a bit more accurate, they look like grandma stepped on a wicker basket) but on average his designs are classic and make me seriously consider going into a life of crime so I could have the kind of money needed to buy such high quality (Think an officer would be fine with the excuse, "Yes I robbed the bank, but Louboutin's new collection just came out!"?). Anywhoodle, the shoes pictured above are great. Sure they are over $700 and sure they are 4" stilettos, but with the ruching, the peep toe and a few colors and materials to choose from, these shoes are cute, classic, easily matched with many outfits, have that signature Louboutin look and would be a great shoe for a night out this summer. Since I know almost everyone reading this won't be able to afford them, here are some similar looks for far less money.


The Substitute-
At $138 at ASOS.com this pair of Steve Madden shoes are the next best thing to the Louboutin's. The materials might not be as nice and the ruching pales in comparison, but at around a quarter of the price, I think we can deal with that. Normally I don't like Steve Madden so much since it seems like he is going way too trendy, copying everything or lists this:
as a "classic". A classic for a door stop or a good shoe for throwing at any person who makes this and called themselves a designer, sure.

So lets say you really want to go cheap? Well don't you worry.


The Affordable
At $40 from NewLook.co.uk this shoe gives you a great look for the money. I just checked and the black appears to be out of stock right now, but "spearmint" blue and red are still in stock. When it comes to just plain looks, I like these much better than the Steve Madden pair, maybe because the ruching and the knot detail just seem cleaner. Hopefully they restock these since this is a good shoe at a great price.


P.S.
I came across this pair in my research for this post (along with hundreds of butt ugly shoes, and a few nice ones I'll show in future posts). I really like them; it's a similar style but a bit more playful and I could see it adding to lots of outfits. I've never heard of the Ash shoe brand but looking at some of their stuff I like it. Definitely something to check out in the future. If you want them they are $187 at ASOS.com

P.P.S. Ew

No comments: